Position paper on the European ornamental plants sector
April 2020. AREFLH believes that it is necessary to develop a new strategy at EU level to support and revitalize the flower and ornamental plant sector by encouraging the concentration of supply and by enabling producer organizations active in this segment to benefit from the operational programs provided for by the CMO regulation.
The current challenges and possible solutions developed in the position paper below are as follows:
- Provide adequate support to producers of ornamental plants in the EU through the operational programs of the common organization of the markets
- Protect EU producers against unfair competition by ensuring a level playing field with both internal and external competitors
- Promoting the quality and specificity of EU flowers and plants through geographical indications and promotion programs
- Develop research and innovation policies in the ornamental plant sector
- Promote the competitiveness of the ornamental plants sector